When can I sign up to take the exam?
After you have received the training material, studied the information and are ready to take the exam. You must have a reservation to take the exam. Use this online system or call 608-224-4548.
How much does the exam cost?
There is no fee for taking an exam.
What should I bring to the exam?
- Photo ID (e.g., driver's license)
- Social Security number (not your Social Security card)
- WDATCP will not issue you an exam without photo ID and SSN
- Your training manual. Complete the training registration form in the inside cover
- Do not remove the form until instructed to do so by the exam proctor
- WDATCP cannot grade your exam until the form is collected. If the form is missing from your book you must purchase a new manual, unless you are
retaking the exam due to a previous non-passing score.
- Calculator. You may use a calculator for the exam; however, cell phone calculators, programmable calculators, or those with alphabet keypads are not permitted. Do not bring a calculator that must be connected to AC power.
How long do I have to take an exam?
What type of exam is it?
The certification exam is approximately 70 multiple choice questions that cover a broad range of areas, including label and labeling comprehension, risks and safety measures, the environment, pests, pesticides, equipment, application techniques, laws and regulations, and topics specific to the appropriate pest control category. Exam questions are based on the corresponding training manual.
Are commercial applicator exams open book?
What is a passing score?
A minimum of 70% correct.
When will I know my test score?
Exams taken at WDATCP in Madison are graded immediately. Exams taken at other locations are graded within two weeks. WDATCP will mail results
within 30 days after taking your exam. Contact WDATCP if you do not receive your exam results after 30 days.
What if I fail the exam?
If you fail your first exam, you may retake the exam after a 24-hour waiting period. Individuals failing a 2nd or 3rd retake exam must wait 30 days before testing again. If you fail the exam four times within a 6-month period, you must wait 6 months from the date of the last failed exam before taking the exam again. If you fail the exam WDATCP will send your exam score and instructions for scheduling a date to retake the exam. There are no fees for retesting.
How long is certification valid for?
Certification is valid for five years. All certification categories expire concurrently. You must recertify every five years by passing a new written examination, based on
revised training materials. Upon passing the exam you will receive a certification card containing a unique six-digit number assigned to you.